Northag 1...

Northag 1...

Postby Piers » 28 Jul 2017

First playtest of the basic rules went well... :grin:
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Re: Northag 1...

Postby Plattattack » 28 Jul 2017

Did you have a chance to test out any rules for ATGM's ? I'll be very interested to see how they are going to be handled in the game.
Plattattack
Three Blind Mice

Postby hincmar » 28 Jul 2017

Very atmospheric. Looking forward to seeing more developments on this project.
hincmar
Largo

Medals: 3
Flak Campaigner (1) Big Game 2011 (1) xmas15 1st place (1)

Postby Piers » 28 Jul 2017

Yes one ATGM team did get to fire... one missile snagged on a hedge and one hit but did no damage to a Leopard 1.

Was two hard close range shots though and an unlucky penetration roll.
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby chairborne » 28 Jul 2017

Good news (and nice pic). Any chance PSC might do a 15m T-64b...?
Speaking truth unto stupid
http://oscarmikegaming.wordpress.com
http://blackwolfwargames.blogspot.co.uk/
chairborne
Mishka

Medals: 1
Easter14 Campaigner (1)

Postby Strombones » 28 Jul 2017

Coolness. Between this and a potential Pacific, Battlegroup will continue to hold a strong first in my gaming focus.

I've got some battlefront soviet stuff ready but FOW just inst going to cut it to actually get it on the table.
Strombones
Mr Osato

Postby Minkey » 28 Jul 2017

Piers wrote:Yes one ATGM team did get to fire... one missile snagged on a hedge and one hit but did no damage to a Leopard 1.

Was two hard close range shots though and an unlucky penetration roll.

It's little blocks of gaming narrative like this that make me look forward to picking this up. Any clues as to potential lists in the book?
Minkey
Hector Gonzales

Battlegroup 2nd place (1)

Postby patrokles » 13 Aug 2017

Hi Piers :wave:
I like the picture with the Polish T-55 in the Invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 camouflage (by the way it was a real shame for us to participate in this hostile act against of our southern neighbours ! Unfortunately Poland was under Communist regime and despite of our feelings in the country we were send to destroy Czech's Call for Freedom along with the other "peoples" armies of the Warsaw Pact. Only Romania refused). Fortunately the conflict between West and Communist East has never happened. Thanks to that millions of people in Europe and all over the World survived. And the only "good side" of this history is the fact, that we can play a hipotethical struggles between western and soviet equipment using models ;) It could be interesting because I read that the Polish Armies (three) were planned to be used in the less important fronts. Russians didn't trust Polish willingness to fight against the British, French and the Americans so they decided to not form a Polish front and use Polish troops in Northern Germany mostly against German Bundeswehra and Danish units in Yutland. So, I would like to check how it would be to use a Polish T-55 tank against a German Leopard 1 :scratch:
I've got a question: When can we expect the book for ordering ?
cheers :wave:
patrokles
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.

George S. Patton
patrokles
Baron Samedi

Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Brodir » 13 Aug 2017

Northag is along way off yet... much work to do. But it's started now!
Brodir
Dr No

Postby patrokles » 14 Aug 2017

Brodir wrote:Northag is along way off yet... much work to do. But it's started now!

I'll be waiting impatiently. But could you reveal a little more details about Northag ? For example What armies are to be covered in the rules ? Polish Peoples Army ? :scratch: I'm asking because I'm going to prepare some forces for playing before the book will be on the market. Unfortunately the only one "Cold War" model I've got in my collection is a die-cast M48 :this: . So I will have to prepare of lot of models ...
:wave:
patrokles
Baron Samedi

Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Gun-Pit Paul » 18 Aug 2017

patrokles

Polish T.55 vs. W. German Leopard 1.
Being as the russkies would of sent you to Denmark, and you went by land, Polish troops would fight the W. German 6th Panzer Division in Schleswig-Holstien, Northern Germany.

Paul
Gun-Pit Paul
Mr Osato

Postby CAG 19 » 18 Aug 2017

Polish T.55 vs. W. German Leopard 1.
Being as the russkies would of sent you to Denmark, and you went by land, Polish troops would fight the W. German 6th Panzer Division in Schleswig-Holstien, Northern Germany.

or the Danes, or the British or the USMC
CAG 19
Baron Samedi

Postby Untergefreiter » 18 Aug 2017

Or the III corps forces which were to reinforce NORTHAG from CONUS. Thus the 3rd Brigade 2nd AD stationed at Bremerhaven.
III Corps would have been full 2AD, 1st Cav and 5th ID. 1st ID and 4th ID would have been sent to CENTAG. At least 1st ID also had a forward Brigade like 2nd AD.
Untergefreiter
Out of work Henchman

Postby patrokles » 18 Aug 2017

Thank you Gentlemen :hello:
So, playing the "Northag" would be even more interesting :grin: I must confess I know (almost) nothing about the plans of the defence of the Western Europe against the Communist's Block invasion. Fortunately I can look at that as a "wargaming opportunity" to compare Western and Eastern weaponry and have a fun in modelling post WWII vehicles and guns.

Paul
Could you write a short info on the equipment of the German 6th Panzer Division. Just types of main vehicles and how many of them were used in the Division ?

Untergefreiter
Could you do the same on the US Army's units you'd mentioned in your post ?

I haven't got any materials on the 80's warfare at home (despite I was a teenager in the 80's :blush: ). I'm addicted to WWII (and WWI as well :-) so, every piece of information would let me to enter into the wargaming of the hypothetical era of WWIII . It would be great to try ... :beg:
Greetings
patrokles :wave:
patrokles
Baron Samedi

Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Untergefreiter » 19 Aug 2017

I'm not an expert but the US equipment would highly depend on year. The 2nd AD (Forward) received M1s (105mm and then the 120mm) and Bradleys very early.
Untergefreiter
Out of work Henchman

Postby Gun-Pit Paul » 19 Aug 2017

patrokles

6th PG Div
Pz Auf Btn 6 - M48A2GA2 (1979) Leopard 1A1A1 (1981+)
16 PG Bde - M48A2GA2 (1979) Leopard 1A1A1 (1982+)
17 PG Bde - M48A2GA2 (1979) Leopard 1A1A2 (1982+)
18 Pz Bde - Leopard 1A2 (1975+)
51 Heimat Bde - M48A2C (1981) Leopard 1A1A1/A1A2 (1982+

Tanks were in 13 Tank Coys (HQ - 1 x Tk, 3 x Plats each - 4 x Tks)

If you go to http://www.relikte.com
then to Literatur
then scroll to the second book 'Die Bundeswehr 1989 Teil 2.1 Heer'
that is about the best I can do on the 6PG Div.
Be warned though, Arty Btns had 3x Btys each 6x guns, not 2x Btys of 9x guns.

Paul
Gun-Pit Paul
Mr Osato

Postby wolflord » 19 Aug 2017

The 6. Panzergrenadier Division had the units Paul already mentioned (2 Panzergrenadiebrigaden and 1 Panzerbrigade, PzAufBtl.). In addition there was a Flugabwehrregiment with 36 Gepard AA tanks, an Artillery Regiment with towed 150mm FH, 203mm SF M110, and rocket artillery, pioneer, supply and repair units and two Jäger Btl (Light Infantry) which where equipped with M113 MTW (at least in 1989).

In 1985 a typical Panzergrenadierbrigade had one mixed PzGren Btl. , two PzGren Btl., one Panzer Btl. and one Panzerartillerie Btl.
A Panzerbrigade had a mixed Panzer Btl, a PzGren Btl, two Panzer Btl. and one Panzerartillerie Btl.
Both units also had a Stabskompanie (HQ Company) with 8 Spähpanzer Luchs, a Panzerjägerkompanie (Tankhunter Company) with 12 Raketenjagdpanzer Jaguar, a Pionierkompanie, a Nachschubkompanie (Supply) and a Instandsetzungskompanie (Repair).

The mixed PzGren Btl was organized as followed:
1. Kp: Stabs- und Versorgungskompanie (HQ & Supply) with 2 Marder SPW
2. Kp: Panzergrenadierkompanie with 11 Marder SPW, 6 Milan
3. Kp: Panzergrenadierkompanie with 11 Marder SPW, 6 Milan
4. Kp: Panzerkompanie with 13 Leopard 1 tanks

The PzGren Btl was organized as followed:
3. Kp: Panzergrenadierkompanie with 11 Marder SPW, 6 Milan
4. Kp: Panzergrenadierkompanie with 10 M113 MTW, 9 Milan
5. Kp: Panzermörserkompanie, 6x PzMrs 120mm M113
In the Panzerbrigade the 4th company was equipped with Marder SPW, as the 2nd and 3rd company.

The Panzer Btl was organized as followed:
1. Kp: Stabs- und Versorgungskompanie (HQ & Supply) with 2 Leopard 1 tanks
2. Kp: Panzerkompanie with 13 Leopard 1 tanks
3. Kp: Panzerkompanie with 13 Leopard 1 tanks
The Panzer Btl in both PzGrenBrigades had a 5th company with 13 Leopard 1 tanks, but this was a Geräteeinheit, wich means they had the tanks, but no personel in peacetime.

The mixed Pz Btl was organized as followed:
3. Kp: Panzerkompanie with 13 Leopard 1 tanks

The Panzerartillerie Bt was organized as followed:
1. Btr: Stabs- und Versorgungskompanie (HQ & Supply)
2. Btr: Panzerartilleriebatterie, 9x PzH 155mm M109G
3. Btr: Panzerartilleriebatterie, 9x PzH 155mm M109G

Above numbers and equipment are for the 6. Panzergrenadierdivision as it was in 1989, but it seems not much had changed since the early eighties.

Greetings
Wolflord
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
wolflord
Vargas

Return to Battlegroup Discussion