A9 Cruiser Question

A9 Cruiser Question

Postby Historical Wargamer » 01 Aug 2017

I am trying to understand why the A9 Cruiser (unreliable) in the BGT British OB costs more than the A10 and A13.

The A9 Cruiser costs 35 points (vs. the A10 at 27 points and the A13 at 26 points).
A9 8”/12” N O O armor (ammo 10)
A10 5”/8” N O O armor (ammo 10)
A13 9”/15” M N O armor (ammo 9)

The A9 Cruiser had a crew of six and two MG turrets besides the main gun and co-axial MG.

Does it "cost more points" because it can fire two machine guns each time it fires (if not firing the main gun)? Otherwise, if not forced to select it, why would you select it?

Thanks in advance.
Historical Wargamer
Whisper

Re: A9 Cruiser Question

Postby Powermonger » 01 Aug 2017

The A9 costs more because it has 3MG's. 2 in the hull turrets and 1 co-axial. That's 9 ROF each time it fires which is a lot.
Besides that, points are not only calculated on stats, but also to availability and scarcity.
And yes, you are right. If i'm building a list just for minmaxing points i would never select it. I would always take the A13's instead (mainly because they are not unreliable)
But that's not the spirit of the rules. The lists are not designed for competitive play nor they are perfectly balanced. They are designed for historical play with some balance.
You may be Powermonger, but I´m Powerowner
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Historical Wargamer » 01 Aug 2017

Thanks for the feedback. So if it fires its machine guns "Open Fire" it would get ROF of 9 for two shots, correct?

We're not competitive players--we just want to understand options (and in this case the correct ROF/procedure for using the two hull-mounted MGs).
Historical Wargamer
Whisper

Postby Powermonger » 01 Aug 2017

Yes! On an open fire order, the A9 can fire two times (area or aimed) with RoF 9 each time.
Powermonger
Dr No

Medals: 1
Recce campaigner (1)

Postby Brodir » 02 Aug 2017

All those MGs... which make it a beast, plus a bit of extra to deter too many... ;)

Heer where gaming departs from reality, those sub-turret Mgs were actual pretty useless, so much so they took them off, but in gaming terms, do you then ignore them? I decided not, and that you'd just have to the pay pts instead.
Brodir
Dr No

Return to Battlegroup Discussion