Basic questions regarding unit basing and losses

Basic questions regarding unit basing and losses

Postby Untergefreiter » 05 Aug 2017

Coming from another 15mm WW2 system I'm currently getting into BG. Building the lists from the books is pretty straight forward. Though I'm struggling a bit on the actual unit basing and how to deal with losses.

Take for example a forward infantry HQ with three men. They have the officer and spotter attribute. So I would use an officer, a spotter and some other soldier with either a rifle or a smg to model that unit. I guess there are no further rules to that?

Now when it comes to losses for the first kill I'd take away the regular soldier, for the second the spotter and third all is gone.
Upon the second kill would the HQ unit lose it's spotting capability? Or is it the officer spotting?

In the case of the officer - what if a sniper kills him first? Will the other two remain as toothless tigers without spotting and officer attributes?
Untergefreiter
Out of work Henchman

Re: Basic questions regarding unit basing and losses

Postby NTM » 05 Aug 2017

It's irrelevant the special rule applies to the unit not individual figures.
NTM
Largo

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby Pedro » 05 Aug 2017

Hi

Interesting question, we play it that the Senior Officer is the Spotter, not least as a 2 man Forward Air Control "unit" the (Air Force normally?) Officer obviously is the Air Spotter . If the senior officer is killed your opponent will probably be so cuffed he will probably allow you to rearm the two remaining chaps with just about anything!

Peter
Pedro
Rosa Klebb

Postby Piers » 05 Aug 2017

Rule applies to the unit.

A sniper would remove a figure and the unit Officer ability.
 ‘Landed. Killed Germans. F***ed off.’ - Major Anders Lassen's operational report to the Admiralty.
'...its not a realistic expectation, that you can use a tank as a sort of big 'fruit-squashing' machine' - Woz
Piers
Dominic Greene

Medals: 41
Capt Campaigner (1) Cav Campaigner (1) Arty 1st place (1) Comm 2nd place (1) Sur1 campaigner (1) Afloat Campaigner (1)
England Campaigner (1) Flak Campaigner (1) Comms Campaigner (1) Armour 3rd place (1) Terrain2 1st place (1) fortified 1st place (1)
Recce 2nd place (1) Leader Campaigner (1) Casualty 1st place (1) Female Campaigner (1) Sniper Campaigner (1) 40mm 2nd place (1)
Wings Campaigner (1) POW Campaigner (1) Truck Campaigner (1) 30mm 1st place (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green 1st place (1)
AntiTank Campaigner (1) Easter14 2nd place (1) 60mm 2nd place (1) Lib Minis 1st (1) Terrain Campaigner (1) Brit Minis 2nd place (1)
Scen1 Campaigner (1) Big Game 2010 (1) 2010 Build (1) 2011 Build (1) 2012 Build (1) 2013 Build 3rd place (1)
xmas15 2nd place (1) xmas14 campaigner (1) 2014 build 3rd place (1) 2015 build 2nd place (1) 2016 build 2nd place (1)

Postby triccor2 » 05 Aug 2017

Hi, we play in the same way: if a snaiper kills an officer, the hq unit loses automatically both officer and spotter special rules.

Cheers,
Triccor2
triccor2
Rosa Klebb

Postby Mark » 05 Aug 2017

We use the Litko Obviously Dead markers for casualties on multi-based infantry.
Mark
Out of work Henchman

Postby Untergefreiter » 06 Aug 2017

Piers wrote:Rule applies to the unit.

A sniper would remove a figure and the unit Officer ability.

So only the officer ability but not the spotter?
Untergefreiter
Out of work Henchman

Postby Untergefreiter » 19 Aug 2017

Those who decided to use multi bases: How do you go about a 6 men Platoon command? Using a FoW medium base is really crowded. A large base might not fit everywhere.
Untergefreiter
Out of work Henchman

Postby wolflord » 19 Aug 2017

I use two small Bases with 3 men each.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
wolflord
Vargas

Postby NTM » 19 Aug 2017

Untergefreiter wrote:Those who decided to use multi bases: How do you go about a 6 men Platoon command? Using a FoW medium base is really crowded. A large base might not fit everywhere.

2 bases of 3 is what I use small FoW base or similar.
NTM
Largo

Medals: 8
30mm Campaigner (1) Red Campaigner (1) Green Campaigner (1) 60mm campaigner (1) 2013 Build (1) xmas15 campaigner (1)
xmas14 campaigner (1) easter15 campaigner (1)

Postby triccor2 » 19 Aug 2017

Hi,
I base my miniatures on single bases to manage easier the casualities and...since I love to move my soldiers on tabletop!!!!

I choose multiple bases only if single bases are not enough, so for prone figures (for ex mg gunner and loader), hmg team, mortar team and at gun & crew. The count of casualties is done by a red dice.

Hope it can helps.

Cheers
Triccor2
triccor2
Rosa Klebb

Return to Battlegroup Discussion